Thursday, January 19, 2006
Chicken Marsala
For dinner tonight I tried my hand at Chicken Marsala. An interesting choice since I had never even tasted it and had no idea what I was going for, it was my parents request. It was pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself. I had to buy a 1/2 gallon bottle of Marsala wine because that's the only size our liquor store carries so I'll have to make this again. Plus it tasted good. I got the recipe here and, as is my habit tweaked it. Here's the revised ingredients list with my tweakings:


4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.) (I didn't do this but I suggest you do, pound the chicken a little to thin it out, you could also cut them in half again)
1 Tbsp. oil
1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup dry Marsala wine (mom and dad both said it still could have used more)
2/3 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. cornstarch (The sauce was a little thin, just add more til it reaches the consistency you like.
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups MINUTE White Rice, uncooked (I just used Uncle Ben's boil in bag)
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (which I forgot but suggest.)
Mom and Dad both found it necessary to add pepper to their helping of chicken (ouch my cook's pride) but I thought it was great the way it was.

It was really good. I don't know how it was compared to chicken marsala from anywhere else cuz like I said I've never had it anywhere else. But definitely really yummy. I served it with a green salad with red grapes and parmesan and Kraft Caesar vinaigerette dressing, and garlic bread. Which I stuck in the broiler and promptly forgot about, succeeding in burning three pieces to a crisp and actually setting the fourth one on fire. Not having a good cook day. I also tried zabaglione for dessert with fresh raspberries but the eggs scrambled instead of custarding and I ended up throwing it out and we just had whipped cream (that wouldn't whip) and raspberries. The meal was pretty good even with the set backs.


7 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Oooh yum! Can you come cook at my house?

Blogger hazel said...

mmmmm, marsala wine. it sounds like it is exactly the way it should be. you're so adventurous!

Blogger Missuz J said...

Hmm. Yummy. Maybe I'll take that extra wine off your hands. :)

Blogger rob said...

You want adventurous? Try these: http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

I think I will try the "Frankfurter Spectacular" this evening. Or, WAIT..."Chicken Liver Bake".

"I feel like chicken liver tonight...like chicken liver toNIGHT."

Blogger amandak said...

Since you have all that extra marsala around, you should try the traditional recipe for tiramisu, which requires the making of zabalione (I'm TOTALLY not spelling that right). It ROCKS though. You use a double boiler and whisk the wine with egg yolks and sugar until it turns into a custardy consistency, then mix it with the marscapone and layer with the ladyfingers. YUMMY. If you're interested, I could hunt down the recipe for ya. It really is worth the work, and you get a much lighter, less cheesecakey result. Not that there's anything wrong with cheesecake ;)!

p.s. oh yeah, I'm officially back online! Thanks for the cute birthday ecard, just got it today. Love you!

Blogger amandak said...

Silly me, how did I manage to not read the last paragraph of that post? oops. The trick to the zabaglione is Constant Vigilance. And the double boiler, which you didn't mention if you used or not. I use my huge stainless bowl on top of my large pot with a little simmering water in it. Oh, and a low-ish temp helps.

LOVE YA

Blogger Katy said...

I used the big bowl and a pan double boiler method and was on it like a fly on honey. I think I had the water too hot. Oh well, i'm no quitter.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG