Wednesday, June 08, 2005
Blog Slack
Ok so it's been like three weeks since I blogged. I'm a big fat slacker what can I say? Nothing to wonderfully interesting going on really, just more work shit but since I have been warned repeatedly to avoid work shit in my blogging I really don't have much to say. My big sis is coming tomorrow and bringing her kids and husband. I'm excited, a little nervous perhaps, but excited. This is where everyone says "Nervous you say? Why would you be nervous?" Well I'll tell you, wether you're wondering or not. My sister is 9 years my senior, I haven't spent more than a couple hours with her (and I'm talking 6 hours here, tops) since I was ooooh probably 9 and then we hardly had anything to say to each other. As I have mentioned before, I am the youngest in my family by quite some distance. There's the two older sisters who are 18 months apart, then the brother who is like 2 years younger then almost 6 years later TADA here comes Katy. Because of this family dynamic, my mom and I have always been really close. While my sisters were off dating boys and hanging out with their friends, I was at home, having tea parties with my mom and playing dress ups. My sisters and my mom have had some rough spots in their relationship, normal teenager mother stuff, but as a result of my being so close to my mom I think they (especiallyMand) have a hard time seperating me frome her. So I didn't go through the same stuff they did at the same time, so what? I still went through it, I'm just quieter about it. So I'm LDS, and young, and single, and don't have kids, that doesn't mean we have nothing in common. I don't even know if we have anything in common, it's never been just me and her, and when we are together its like she has this wall up that keeps me from getting to know her. But I wanna try. She's my sister. So anyway, I'm going to be living with a woman I barely know for the next two to three weeks, sharing my space, my bathroom, and hopefully a little bit of myself. In return for who knows. Maybe I'll finally get to know a little about her.

Today's quote of the day:
I smile because you're my sister. I laugh because there's nothing you can do about it.


4 Comments:

Blogger Missuz J said...

I was so glad to find a new post, and I admire you for your honesty.

Blogger hazel said...

great post. I am almost 10 years younger than my sister, and she and my brother are what they call "irish twins" as they are roughly 10 months apart. they always had each other - and by the time I came along, the family dynamic, and my parents as people, were quite different. so I completely understand what you mean.

I hope you guys are able to break through. when that happened for my sister and I, it was great - and now we're closer than I ever imagined we'd ever be. not best friends doing stuff every weekend, but close enough to walk into each other's houses unannounced. which is more than I had ever hoped for. so...good luck!

Blogger NME said...

Your honesty is fantastic! That is what blogging was meant to be.

Ten years is a tough difference - but I really hope you do break through. In my experience it really is worth it to put in a little work with family. If you and Amanda get closer it will mean that you will also be closer to her kids - and she will be closer to yours if you have them. And then the cousins will be closer. Etc. So the effort you put in pays off tenfold. The most important thing to do is try to lay down judgments and bad feelings and try to really see the world through each others eyes and appreciate one another.Okay - off my soapbox now. Goodluck!

Blogger amandak said...

Wow, what can I say to that one. As I'm sitting here typing in your house, while you're likely in the next room. Thank you for sharing yourself online, I feel like I've gotten to know you much better by reading your posts, please keep up the candor and the honesty. I'm sorry about the wall I have, believe me, it's not just for you. I'll try harder to let it down, really. I love you SO much! Maybe you'll be the one who stayed in the church who I don't feel judges me for my need to get out of it. I hope so. Oh dear, getting teary now. Big kiss darling, don't ever doubt my love for you. The quote was perfect, and you're the perfect little sis.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG