Friday, August 05, 2005
I wish I hadn't grown up in Podunkville USA
But it's too late now.

Eloquence. It's something I always wish I had. Every once in awhile my mind stops screaming and lets me speak from the heart and in those short bursts of brilliance I am the kind of writer I want to be. I went to Cedar High School. It is a tradition there that each class, Freshman through Senior has their own chant at pep rallies. I still remember them all:
Freshman: Ip skoodily ooten dooten bah bah ska deeten datten ah cha rah cha, Cedar High!
Sophomore: Chicka Chicka boomelada half past an alligata chicka rah day, Cedar High School Boom rah rah!
Junior: Go Cedar Go! Go Cedar Go! Go Cedar Go Cedar Go Cedar Go!
Senior C-C-C-E-D D-D-D-A-R C-E-D-D-A-R CEDAR!
I remember thinking as a freshman how strange it was that the Freshman chant was so much more complex than the Seniors. At the time, my friends and I joked that the longer we went to CHS the dumber we got. Sadly I fear it is true. The seniors have to memorize how to spell Cedar just to prove they learned something (I'll just point out that it's spelled with two d's in the chant instead of one...brilliance) Mediocrity is bred in our fair town. A few souls manage to rise above and go on to greatness, my sisters for instance. We moved to Utah when they were in High School and so had had the good fortune of education outside of the Utah Public School System. I however was in the second grade when we moved to Cedar and therefore my education has been stunted by small town teachers. One of my middle school teachers actually taught "if you was to" as proper grammar. It's probably not entirely my educations fault that I'm not the eloquent well-versed person I wish I was but I'll blame them anyway. I can't always say what I'd like the way I'd like to. Not only do I not have the words but I have a hard time controlling my emotions. Becky and Amanda are both excellent at saying what they mean. So yesterday as I was trying to comfort Becky I hated the fact that I couldn't say what I wanted her to hear and that I started crying in the middle of saying it. I felt rotten, she doesn't need me being sad on top of everything else. Anyway, there's a point to all this. I'm going to try and turn off my head which has a tendancy to make my heart felt tirades sound corney, and speak from the heart, without crying cuz I'm at work and that's very unproffessional. I love this little bloggiverse and all the people I've met. All you wonderful people who share your lives with me have become like sisters. When there are knew pictures of the babies I show them around work like a proud auntie. "Look at my friends baby, so cute huh?" Reading your adventures of mommyhood teaches me the kind of parent I want to be, and reading just about your daily lives teaches me the kind of person I want to be. I hope you all know how much I look up to you and love you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, thanks for letting me into this little club. You're all the greatest.


6 Comments:

Blogger hazel said...

I happen to think you're very eloquent, and I always know what it is you're trying to say. I love your blog and hearing about how you're doing, your crazy job schedule, the crushes, the glimpses into your life - it's so much fun and so meaningful.

it's like a love fest lately...

at any rate, I am looking forward to your future posts, and seeing how things change and evolve for you.

I'm so proud that our babies make their way around auntie katy's circle of real life friends!!

Blogger NME said...

I just welled up with mushiness. It is a lovefest indeed. I agree with Patrice wholeheartedly. I think you are eloquent - and I really enjoy reading your posts and being a part of your life. And I like your emotional nature - it's heartfelt and authentic. I want to adopt all three of you sisters and add you to my family. And I feel like I've done just that.

Blogger amandak said...

Hey love,

Whatchu talking about? You're by far one of the more emotionally eloquent peeps I know. And, you work at it, which I admire greatly. I'm happy you can be there for our sweet sis. It makes me all weepy that I'm not some days, and yesterday was definitely one of those days. I'm just going to imagine you giving her a big hug, and me hugging the two of you together in spirit. So sappy, I know, sorry, but it makes my heart feel better, so there it is.

Blogger Katy said...

Thanks guys, I really wasn't digging for compliments though reading back I kind of sound like it. Welcome to lovefest 2005!

Blogger Kathryn said...

Katy, I feel the same way about the lovely mommies that share their lives with us. And I agree that you are really great at expressing on this site! Yay for cheesy love fests! And I blame my public education for my terrible spelling and awful geography skills.

Blogger M'gann said...

Aw darling, sometimes I think perhaps you are too hard on yourself. I find you to be more eloquent than I am. (Which is really not a hard feat.) But often I read your blog saying to myself, "I wish I could sound so organized in my thoughts and mature in what I say." But I don't, I ramble like a hyped up mad woman. ^_^ So Cedar's a podunk place, it happens. You rise above.

Speaking of babies: I have new pictures that I must show you! :D

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG