Thursday, August 11, 2005
Uhm, I'm tired ...
...and bored and can't think of anything better to do.

So, with 2 and 1/2 weeks left before I return to school I'm thinking about changing my major. A major that I haven't even tried yet, but that sounds sucky. Business finance? Am I really a business finance type person? Sure, it sounded interesting when I was in the business finance industry but now that that shit hit the fan I'm thinking maybe no. Well what would you like to do instead? you may ask. I don't know. I've had an interest in criminal justice for a while now. Maybe I could do pre-law. Of course, when I've brought up that idea in the past. My father, states "I'd rather have a hooker for a daughter than a lawyer". Thanks for the support there, fat man. So then I think, fine, I'll be a lawyer just to spite you jerk face. The last time we had this string of conversation I just looked at him and said "You know what, someday you're gonna go all day without being an ass. I hope I'm there to see it." This could turn into a father daughter relationship troubles blog, but it's not gonna.

But then I think, Katy, whatever happened to becoming a writer? I've wanted to write since I was little. So I should be doing an english related major right? In fact the other day when I was pricing text books at the college bookstore I kept walking past the english lit section between the Accounting section and Statistics section and was sad. I'm not taking any classes that I think I'll even remotely enjoy. Peachy, time to go through scheduling hell again. So my dear friends I pose the question to you. What should I do? Try the finance route for a semester? Do pre-law and to hell with daddy dearest? Do english? Or just go through the catalog and sign up for what looks fun? I haven't even started school yet and I'm already changing my mind. Approach Avoidance conflict you think?


8 Comments:

Blogger NME said...

My suggestion is to dabble in a few things and see what you really like. Plenty of people switch their majors. I went to school as a Psych major, switched to English Lit and then switched again to Journalism/Public Relations. But please don't let anyone but yourself set your career path - you'll regret it.

Blogger Marksthespot said...

I'm of the opinion that you can't learn to be a writer in class, and no matter what you study you can always write. But having said that, if I had it to over again I'd be an English major, because the key is to be well read, or a History major, because the real key is to know a lot of stories about what's happened and why.

And if you really want to spite your dad, become a hooker.

Blogger amandak said...

Screw him. Dude. Seriously. That totally made me want to call him up and give him a piece of my mind. I wasted WAY too much time in my education (not to mention money), doing something I thought he would approve of. Again, SCREW HIM.

You've heard my education opinion before, so I won't go too much into it here. I'd say, check out a couple classes that really excite you. See how the people are in those departments. I think that really is a big part of finding your place, finding the people you want to learn from.

Good luck darling, I'm sure you'll figure it out sooner or later, just do what YOU want, and you'll be cool.

Blogger dirty_w said...

Education is something that can not be taken away. IE a car or job. The Education police are not going to come by and say you haven't paid your bills we are going to make you dumb again.

As far as doing what daddy wants. you know sometimes dad just might know a few things. Not that you have to do just what dad wants but you might want to be opene enough to take listen and understand what dad has to say. by the way that you and I guess it's your sister are still pulling the whole I am a rebel and dont tell me what to do teenage girl tude. No matter how big an ass or dick pops is he still just might know a little something.

take a class or two in something that you want. Such as writting. See if that's something you want and at the same time take a couple core classes so you are not just spinning your wheels and burning your cash paying for classes you dont need.

It took my old roomate a long time to figure out that he was not going to be an engineer but needed to get into something else. Just dont waste your time use it wisely. Nothing like getting out of school after doing the 10 year plan like i had to and then watching people starting out where you are stating and they are 6 years younger.

good luck you will find your answer with in but somethings you must pull away from your self to see what is really inside.

d_W

Blogger Missuz J said...

Hmm. Let's read your cards later and see what they have to say.

Blogger Kodi said...

Do what makes you happy. How's that for sage Kodi advice?

Blogger Kathryn said...

You have plenty of time to decide a major. I would get the basics out of the way first, then you'll probably have a better idea of what you're drawn to. I changed my major mid way through college and still was (literally) just one credit short of graduating in 4 years.

Although it sounds like you have a passion, and I really believe you can't go wrong following that drive. It's there for a reason. Plus it will make school a much more interesting and enjoyable experience. Good Luck!

Blogger hazel said...

everyone is basically telling you to do the same thing (except that dude who called you a teenager who wants you to listen to your dad) and I agree. the only thing I'd add is that you might want to take into account what kind of job you might get with whichever major you wind up choosing. an english major is great, being a writer is fantastic, but you might have to be prepared to scrape and scrounge and maybe live with your parents for longer. and maybe not. I'm just saying to take into account the kind of life you think you'd like to lead after college.

there are 2 schools (get it?) of thought on jobs - you can take the job you love and have passion for, or take the job that allows you to have passions outside of work. if you want to have a job you're passionate about, that might factor in big time in your choice.

but like nicole and others said, you can totally change your mind again, too. so try not to sweat it too much. (you can always go back to school, too, if you find your chosen career isn't what you thought it'd be like.)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG