Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Uhm aren't you supposed to like...advise or something?
Cuz you're not.

I went to my advisor today. Walked in to the teeny, strangely cluttered office, and sat down. Neither of us said anything. We both sat and looked at each other with that "Who's turn is it?" smile on our faces. Finally I broke the silence and handed her my unofficial transcripts from Dixie. So we went through what generals I already had, the classes I was registered for, and what I would still need to graduate. Basically I had already done all the work and she just patted me on the back and said good job see ya next semester. That's not advising, that's validating. Which is good too. I need a lot of validation. So, I have now officially changed my majors, still need to decide on a minor but that'll come. The highlight of the day was when I left and noticed an "I blog therefore I am" cartoon on her door. Not the elephant one. Hers was better, but I couldn't find one like it.
I almost had to go back and ask for her URL but decided I didn't want to seem weird and stalkery. I did however get the VERY LAST opening in communications 1010, which I'm choosing to see as a sign that I made the right choice.

Now that I'm in a different major I'm pretty excited for school to start. My first class of the day MWF is biology. Yeah, like I'm gonna be able to drag my ass out of bed for that. But I'll be ok. I'll get to write now and I don't feel nearly as freaked out/intimidated by my classes. I may still minor in finance though. It's a good skill to have I guess. We'll see. I'm gonna be in college for the rest of my life. Anyway, I'm going to go see how much my books are going to cost now. 11 days til school starts. :P


7 Comments:

Blogger lonna said...

Every meeting I had with my college advisors was validating and not advising. Or it was rude negative stuff. I went to my advisor every year to make sure that I was on the right path to graduate school. I knew when I entered college that I wanted a Ph.D. in psychology. My jerk advisor started telling me about junior year that I would never get in, and that maybe I should consider getting a master's in social work. Screw him! I am now Dr. Lonna. Sometimes being your own advisor is the best in the long run.

Blogger Katy said...

GRR Count on an entry about the FREAKING Blogvertisers soon. They're so pissing me off.

Blogger amandak said...

Wow, you're getting the hell spammed out of you, aren't you? That sucks. Just choose to think of it as a positive comment on your popularity. Maybe?

I'm totally excited for you. I think, along with the inevitable frustrations, this will be a really great experience for you.

Love you!!!

Blogger Kathryn said...

Yay! You're gonna love communications. Have fun looking for your books. That's always the best part.

Blogger hazel said...

sometimes, when I hear about college advisors or high school guidance counselors (who do not guide), I feel like THAT'S what I ought to be doing, if only to teach them how to fucking do it right.

I'm glad you're feeling good about your new major! you must be so excited. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Blogger Stine said...

Ah, the first days of getting back into school. So much paperwork, so little time. Sounds like this lady needs to pull her head out of some dark places and become present for her advisees.

Blogger NME said...

Maybe she's a really good advisor on her blog but in person she's a mute. I've had bad advisor experiences too and often thought it would be a fun and interesting career - but I guess noone who is actually doing it thinks so.

I can't wait for you to tell us some of the things that you discuss in your communications classes. I need the brush up.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG