Wednesday, August 24, 2005
They say it's your birthday!!!
Duna duna duuuuh!!!

Today is my mom's birthday!! I considered doing an ode to Mom but decided I would start crying, and I'm at work, and I'm sure they've had quite enough of that. Needless to say I love my mom. She's my best friend. Literally. I do not know where I'd be without her. I don't even want to think about it. Since her brush with cancer six years ago a week doesn't go by without her saying "well what if I die?" or "when I die..." and I just have to tune her out because when I think of her not being around I get really angry. She's my mom and I love her and when she was diagnosed with cancer, even though the doctors said that it was completely treatable and that she was going to make it through, I started thinking about all the things I still have to do in my life that I want her to be around for. Getting married, having kids, my junior prom (I was 16 at the time). These are all things that a girl needs her mom for. And before I start crying I'm going to say I'm glad she was born. I'm glad I was born to her. And I'm glad she's still around.

Update on the handsome Rob situation:

We're going to dinner tonight and then heading to Becky's for cake (my carrot cake, like he could pass that up) after dinner. I figured this would be an opportune time for him to meet Becky because if she doesn't give me the greenlight there's just no point in moving on. She's always been right about the guys I've dated, if I'd listened to her a year ago I wouldn't have gone through the whole Ean mess in the first place. Now it stands to wonder whether we will be taking the motorcycle or not. I doubt it. But I wish he would stop crashing so we could.


4 Comments:

Blogger lonna said...

Happy Birthday Mom! We're all glad that she's around to celebrate with all of you. What a horrible scare that must have been for you. My mom had a weird pap reading and then a hysterectomy, and that was enough to freak me out. And it turns out that it was only scar tissue from an IUD that she had had. I can't imagine what a cancer diagnosis would have done to me, and I was 24 at the time, not in high school.

Good luck with Rob. It's nice to know that your sister has your back.

Blogger Kathryn said...

I can't imagine not having my mom around either. I can't think about it because it makes me cry. On a happier note yay for Handsome Rob dates!

Blogger hazel said...

I can't wait to hear how the date goes.

it's so nice that you and your mother are best friends. it doesn't sound like you need reminding, but that kind of relationship can be very rare. I envy you that, for sure.

and with a pihoopv, I click "publish".

Blogger dasereht said...

Happy Birthday, Katy's Mom!

Today is my husband's birthday, so she's in good company. Or he's in good company. Or they're both in good company. Anyway.

My dad died of cancer when I was a sophomore in college, and though I'm not religious, I do think some sort of positive thought every day for my moms. I can't imagine life without them, and like you, I feel I still have so much to share with them. In fact, I've even started hassling them about being overweight, out of shape, and in Mom1's case, a FRIGGING TWO PACK A DAY SMOKER. It makes me crazy.

Can't wait to hear more about handsome Rob. And carrot cake. Mmmmm... cream cheese frosting.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG