Tuesday, October 04, 2005
It's the most wonderful time of the year
I love October! This is my favorite month for a lot of reasons. First of all, it's when fall really starts falling. Colors start to change, the air gets that little bite to it that keeps your blood pumping, and I get to pull out all my cute sweaters. Not to mention shop for new cute sweaters. I plan on doing my living room and kitchen in fall colors when I get my own house. I already have things in storage, just waiting to bust out. Seriously I LOVE this season. I look forward to this season. I am always happiest in the fall.
Second, it's National Breast Cancer awareness month. The Smith mom was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 years ago. Though remembering that time doesn't make me happy, knowing that she survived and that she's still here does make me happy. I also love all the well, awareness, going on. I feel like it's something that women can share. Like this is a fight we're in together and that we'll win because we're smart, and strong. I realize that I wasn't the one with cancer but I survived, just like the rest of my family. I guess it gives me something to feel apart of that is bigger than myself. Yesterday was the first day of October that I had school and I kept noticing everyone wearing pink, I wore pink because of the month and I kept finding myself thinking, "Oh look, she's wearing pink, right on sister!" We may or may not have been wearing pink for the same reasons, but I like to think that we were.
Third, HALLOWEEN!!! I loves this holiday. I am 22 and still dressing up. In fact I usually start thinking about my costume in August. This year, I'm thinking fairy. We'll see what happens. Last week my friends nine year old asked if I thought she was too old to go trick-or-treating. I got all sorts of fiery. You trick-or-treat til they stop giving you sugar, sugar! I love jack-o-lanterns. I love that people can do things like this with them. I love the candy. I love the scary stories. I love the little kids dressed up like ghouls, and goblins, and witches, and wizards. I love it all. When I have my own house, I fully intend to have an insane spook alley in my yard every year. And parties. Because grown ups lose the Halloween magic, and they need an excuse to dress up too.
As a side note, my dad was born in October, I'm glad about that too.
Yeah. October is about the greatest month ever.
PS. That picture of the tree on top, I took that with my phone. WOOHOO!!! People around campus keep looking at me funny because I take pictures of the most random stuff. Oh well.


7 Comments:

Blogger lonna said...

I love fall too. I am not creative enough to enjoy Halloween for my own purposes, but I'm looking forward to seeing Halloween through Dermot's eyes. I haven't decided on a costume for him this, but I need to come up with something soon. I went trick or treating until I was 13. That was pushing it a little, but hey, what ya gonna do? At that point it was more about walking around the neighborhood with my friends anyway. My best friend was also born in October. Yeah October!

Blogger hazel said...

I love october, too. we bought our house in october, we got married in october, and we had bella in october. and please, halloween? the only year I didn't dress up is the year I was pregnant with trent, and last year. I went trick or treating until I was a senior in high school. and bella's birthday party? a costume party, of course. I love, love, love it.

Blogger NME said...

It is so great that your mom overcome her bout with breast cancer - and it is incredibly loving and supportive of you to promote the cause.

I love October too - which is why Mark and I chose it to be the month of our wedding. Fall colors are my favorite too. Particularly shades of brown and pumpkin orange.

I'm sort of surprised about your passion for Halloween. I thought that sort of pagan/spirit worshiping holiday would be a Mormon no-no.

Blogger Marksthespot said...

It's October? Did anyone remember to wake that guy from Green Day?

Blogger Kathryn said...

Halloween is my favorite, favorite holday! It's just about fun. No pressure for everything to be perfect. No forced hanging out with family members you don't like. I think I'm going to paint my belly into a jack-o-lantern. Yay!

Blogger Diane Lowe said...

I love Autumn as well, but I prefer September.
Halloween is a fun pagan holiday. I think I'm doing some variation of the flapper/gangster moll this year. (The parties should be great!) The costume ideas usually start flowing sometime in early Summer.

Blogger Missuz J said...

Can't wait to see your costume. I need to find something new, having been little red ridinghood for the past 5 years. Maybe I'll fairy up with you!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG