Thursday, April 06, 2006
Taking Stock
Hell.

Are you guys sick of listening to bitch about school yet? Well, sorry, I'm at it again. Not so much school, but my life in relation to school. The semester is almost over. Four weeks from right this very moment, I will be finished with finals. Being so close to the end of semester means it's time to start thinking about next semester. Next semester is three months away, I have no idea what is going to be going on in three months. I have no idea what is going to be going on in three weeks for hells sake. Before this year started I was a business marketing major. Then I changed to a communications major. I didn't know what my communications emphasis would be, but I knew my major, and apparently knowing is half the battle. Whatever. So now I have taken a couple communications classes. My speech class was fun, well, maybe not fun, tolerable and educational maybe. Ok, it didn't drive me absolutely crazy. The PR class of this semester is a whole different story though. So now I am rethinking YET AGAIN the path I will follow on my school career.

This semester I have enjoyed my business management class most of all. Strange since business was my first choice but when I went to buy my books I nearly had a panic attack at the thought of taking intro to accounting, intro to psychology and other such insanities. But here I am, heading back down that road. Ugh. What I can't decide is if it's all the teacher or not? Am I considering abandoning my communications major because of my idiot teacher? Am I considering going back to Business because I enjoyed my business teacher so much? Can't I just miraculously become independantly wealthy and spend my days being doted on by hot cabanna boys named Julio??? Why isn't that an option? Schmoozing 101 with professor Smith. Being offered in Cabo San Lucas BYOB. Classes never start before noon. Now that'd get enrollment up!

So I'm asking oh wise and mighty friendternets. What is it that I should do with my life? Cuz right now I'm thinking a long nap and a stiff drink. Well, at least the long nap part.


9 Comments:

Blogger ~A~ said...

When in doubt become a (adult) Girl Scout.

Take them awesome cake and cookie deco skills and pass them on to the next generation. I would pay you money to come in and teach my troop. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I would pay you, $30 for an hour and a half lesson, plus supplies (and a patch for the girls) if it was reasonable for 25 girls.

So what would work better, business or communication major? Maybe both.

Okay, I know, no help, I'll shaddup.

Blogger OMH said...

Hey ~A~ has a valid point - with your talent you could always make your millions doing cakes with the cabana boy - Jolio or opening your own shop.

I would say follow your heart but there you go with Jolio again!

Blogger rob said...

Are you guys sick of listening to bitch about school yet?

Yes. I want to hear some good things about school.

Three months until the next semester, huh? Can you find some kind of bakery or cake decoration apprenticeship to fill the void? Like ~A~ and OMH mentioned, you're pretty awesome at that. And by pretty awesome I mean insanely great.

Where will your creative skills (the outward flourishes of which stretch beyond the culinary) best be a boon (I love alliteration): Business or communication? Will they serve those disciplines at all?

I'ma shut up now 'cuz I sound like a guidance counselor. So I leave you with this pearl from Pump Up the Volume:

"Guidance counselors! If they knew anything about career moves would they have ended up as guidance counselors?"

Blogger lonna said...

I was just teaching about guidance counselors yesterday in my adolescent development class. Our discussion basically ended up talking about how bad they are and how most people have to use whatever they can to come up with what is best for them. Unfortunately, I also know that that means that I don't really have any good advice for you. I know that a bad professor can just kill a good topic and that a good professor can save a lousy topic. So maybe you need to get some more classes under your belt before you decide. Usually you can take two years to get gen ed stuff out of the way and try out different things. Hopefully by the time you have 60 credits under your belt you will have some idea. You may also see if the career center or your advisor has any kind of help.

Blogger Diane Lowe said...

Well, Frank's always emphasized the value of creativity in communication/journalism.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm right about where you are at. If time and money allows, take a bunch of different 101 courses that sound interesting and see where you end up.

Realistically, the best thing to do is pray on the matter. God's going to tell you where he wants you to be, even if he makes you wait for it.

Blogger M'gann said...

(Imagine Fez saying this first part.) Professor Smith? I have a few questions! First of all, where can I sign up for Schmoozing 101 cause I am so there. And secondly, would you say that Julio is more of a visual aid, or an interactive educational tool? ^_^

But anyway! :D It's okay if you bitch and piss about school a lot. After all, when you're in college, that's pretty much your whole life! So I doubt anyone really minds reading what you have to say about it. As for what you should do, I'm not commenting. After all, it's nobody's choice but your own. ^_^ Best of luck!

Blogger Missuz J said...

Julio--Could you please come to the front of the class? You've been a very, very bad boy.

Oh--sorry. A little distracted there. You do love and are great at the cake thing. Wouldn't some business background help you if you want to have a, um, business? Just a thought.

XOXO

Blogger Diane Lowe said...

Another idea: SUU's Student Services might have a "career counselor" who could give you a test so you can find out more about your strengths and weaknesses, and give you more ideas or insight than we provide here. This is not to mean "take their advice literally", but it's just another place you can go (or person to talk to) to learn more about yourself and what you want to do in life.

Blogger Kodi said...

You take the nap, I'll take the stiff drink. Works out well for us both. I changed my major twice before settling on Zoology, so don't sweat it.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG